Self-adhesive wallpaper: the best peel and stick wallpaper to give your home a temporary transformation
Peel and stick wallpaper is a great choice if you're renting or simply looking for a non-permanent wall decoration. Take a look at the best self adhesive wallpaper designs in the UK right now
Easy to apply, simple to remove and totally affordable, self-adhesive wallpaper is a must-have in anyone's decorating toolkit.
Whether you're looking to transform your rental property without losing your deposit or simply give your walls an on-trend update without committing to a permanent makeover, peel and stick wallpaper will breathe new life into tired walls and furniture without causing any damage - both to your home or your bank account!
Keep reading to discover our pick of the best self adhesive wallpaper available to buy in the UK, plus everything you need to know about peel and stick wallpaper. Happy decorating!
Is self-adhesive wallpaper good?
Opting for self-adhesive wallpaper over traditional pasted wallpaper has countless benefits. It’s easy to hang, the self-adhesive backing doesn’t require any messy pasting, and as it’s removable, you can keep repositioning it until you get it in the perfect spot – it won’t leave any residue behind. Self-adhesive wallpaper is also extremely affordable and durable, meaning it can withstand scratches and knocks, plus, it’s totally renter friendly, so you can use it to cover unsightly walls and remove it when your tenancy ends without risking losing your deposit.
Does peel and stick wallpaper stay on?
If you apply it with care, peel and stick wallpaper can last years. Although self-adhesive wallpaper is designed to give your home a less permanent update than traditional wallpaper, it will still remain adhered to your walls for long periods of time without peeling.
Best self adhesive wallpaper uk
Kleist 6m x 53cm Matte Finish Peel & Stick Wallpaper Roll
If you’re looking to embrace the global traveller trend, this World Menagerie wallpaper from Wayfair is for you. The motif is bold, but the subtle grey and neutral colour palette means that it won’t overwhelm a room – we think it makes a great addition to a grey living room or bedroom.
NuWallpaper Maui Green Self Adhesive Wallpaper
Tropical décor is trending right now, and if you want to dip your toe into the trend without committing to a permanent makeover, this Maui Green Self Adhesive Wallpaper is your best friend. Stick it on your walls and kitchen cabinets, or use it to give your favourite furniture a budget-friendly update!
Genevieve Floral Wallpaper
This fun floral design is perfect if you love your home to have a feminine feel. We love the gorgeous watercolour effect and blush peony design – it’s the perfect accompaniment to a pink bedroom scheme!
Arthouse Peel & Stick Pindorama Navy Wallpaper
This one is for the maximalists! We love the gorgeous photographic tropical design on this Pindorama wallpaper, not to mention the moody colour palette – it’s perfect for adding drama to a room! Try teaming this design with bold Art Deco accessories for an opulent feel. You won’t be disappointed!
Arrowhead 5.5m L x 52cm W Geometric Roll Wallpaper
This East Urban Home wallpaper gives us instant coastal décor vibes. The chic white and navy colour combo is great for adding an understated nautical feel to a bathroom or kitchen – try teaming it with earth-tones for a natural look.
Dottie Black and White Self Adhesive Wallpaper
You can’t go wrong with monochrome décor, and this polka dot design from Dunelm is perfect for injecting a bit of personality into your home without looking over the top. We think this would make a great feature wall in a bedroom or dressing room!
If your kitchen is in need of an affordable update, you don’t want to miss this lemon design from Julia Badeeva. Use it as an alternative to a tiled splashback to inject your kitchen with Italian-inspired charm.
Arthouse Peel & Stick White Washed Wall Wallpaper
Not lucky enough to have exposed brick walls in your home? Don’t fret – Arthouse’s white washed wall effect wallpaper will give you the industrial look without the need for an expensive renovation. It’s also great for introducing French country vibes into a room – style it with chateau inspired furniture and you’ll be good to go!
Marble Peel and Stick 5.48m x 52.07cm Wallpaper Roll
Want to give your home a luxe look for less? This white marble design from Etta Avenue is the answer. It’ll add instant glamour without breaking the bank.
Endless Highway Mid Century Modern Wallpaper
Love the Mid Century Modern look? This ‘endless highway’ design from Spoonflower will immediately give your walls the retro look you’ve been craving. Team it with a 50s inspired sofa for an authentic vintage-inspired look.
Arthouse Peel & Stick Linen Texture Mid Grey Wallpaper
If you prefer your home to have a minimalist Scandi look, this Arthouse linen-effect textured wallpaper is the thing for you. The mid-grey fabric design is extremely understated, but it has a subtle lustre that’ll catch the light and add a little bit of depth to a neutral scheme.
More decorating ideas...
Is self-adhesive wallpaper easy to hang?
Provided that you prepare your walls properly and have the right tools to hand, self-adhesive wallpaper is actually much easier to hang than traditional wallpaper. As the self-adhesive backing eliminates the need for wallpaper paste, all you have to do is peel off the sticker backing and adhere the tacky side of the wallpaper directly to a clean wall. You can then use a plastic putty knife to smooth out any bubbles, as you do with sticky back plastic, working from the centre of the wallpaper strip outwards.
How do you apply peel-and-stick wallpaper?
You will need:
Plastic putty knife
- Start by preparing your walls. Make sure they’re clean and dust free by wiping them with a sugar soap solution and a duster.
- Start to peel the sticker backing away from your self-adhesive wallpaper strip, as you would with a normal sticker or sticky back plastic. For ease, start by only peeling a small area of the backing strip away, as this will make it easier to achieve a smooth application.
- Line up your wallpaper strip so the edges meet the ceiling and corner of your room. We recommend starting from the top left of your wall so you can work down and across.
- Stick the adhesive part of your wallpaper strip directly to your wall. If you have uneven ceilings, overhang the wallpaper – this means sticking it higher than you need it to be so you can cut it with a utility knife - to make sure you’re left with a clean line.
- Now that the first part of your wallpaper is stuck, you can peel the rest of the sticker backing off in a downwards motion, smoothing the adhesive part onto the wall as you go. You can use your hands for this, but you might find working with a plastic putty knife easier.
- When you reach the skirting board, use a utility knife to score the wallpaper in a straight line. Repeat the process at the top of your wall, between the wall and the ceiling, if you overhung the top of your wallpaper.
- Repeat this process across your wall, overlapping the paper strips by a quarter of an inch, until the you’ve covered the desired area. If you find that the wallpaper creases or sticks to itself, use a hairdryer on a low heat to gently warm up the paper and smooth out any uneven areas. Remember, the beauty of peel and stick wallpaper is that it’s fully removable, so if it needs repositioning, you can just pull it away from the wall gently and try again.
Peel and stick wallpaper tutorial
Thea Jeffreys is the Digital Writer on YourHomeStyle.uk, and is passionate about all things home décor. When she’s not scouring the internet for budget-friendly homeware finds, you’ll find her writing about the latest interior trends and handy upcycling tricks.